Skip Navigation


Frequently Asked Questions

I've been injured in a car accident. What should I do?
There are important timelines for advancing personal injury claims as a result of car accidents. You will be entitled to statutory accident benefits irrespective of fault and you may be able to sue the other driver for compensation. You should contact a personal injury lawyer right away to learn your rights.

I slipped and fell on ice on a sidewalk. What do I need to do?
Slip and fall cases may take place on city property. If you have suffered an injury as a result of a city sidewalk, then you will need to provide the municipality with written notice within 10 days of the incident. You should contact a lawyer as soon as possible to make sure that your rights are protected.

My insurance company has denied my claim for long term disability, even though I've given them a note from my doctor. Are they allowed to do this?
Insurance companies will sometimes deny disability claims despite medical evidence that proves you are unable to work. You should retain a lawyer to fight for the disability benefits you may be entitled to.

I was admitted to hospital for routine surgery but since then I've developed a major infection. Do I have a case?
Medical malpractice cases will generally require expert reports to prove that a physician’s treatment fell below a “reasonable standard of care” and was “causally connected” to the patient’s outcome. You should consult with a medical malpractice lawyer.

What does catastrophic impairment mean?
If you have been catastrophically impaired as a result of a car accident, then you are entitled to significantly enhanced accident benefits. Contact Terrence right away for a free initial consultation.

What is the Threshold?
In order to succeed with a claim for pain and suffering because of a car accident, you need to prove that you suffered a permanent serious disfigurement or a permanent serious impairment of an important physical, mental or psychological function. That probably sounds confusing so you should contact a lawyer with experience in car accidents to discuss your case.

Do I need a lawyer?
Insurance claims are complicated. Insurance adjusters are highly trained, sophisticated professionals. In order to ensure that your rights are protected, you should contact a personal injury lawyer.

I have been involved in a car accident after June 1, 2016. Do I have any rights to accident benefits?

There have been many changes to Ontario accident benefits which are relevant to accidents that occurred on or after June 1, 2016. The type and level of benefits you are entitled to may vary depending on your policy and whether you requested optional benefits from your insurance broker. You should consult with a personal injury lawyer in order to understand your rights.

What is the minor injury guideline?

The minor injury guideline sets out a basic amount for treatment available for those injured in a motor vehicle accident and who are determined to have sustained “minor injuries” pursuant to the new definition. The Minor Injury Guideline can be confusing. You should consult with a personal injury lawyer.

I was let go by my employer after many years of service. Can they do this?

In the absence of just cause for termination, you may be entitled to compensation for pay in lieu of reasonable notice, benefits and other potential damages. You should consult with a lawyer right away.


Munn Law Firm

330 Bronte Street South Suites 116 & 117

Milton, ON Canada

L9T 7X1

Phone: 905-693-9977


Other location:
15 Suffolk Street East
Guelph, ON N1H 2H7
Phone: 519-826-9977


Sunday Closed

Monday - Friday 09:00 AM - 05:00 PM

Saturday Closed

*Weekends by appointment

Service Area

  • Ontario
  • Greater Toronto Area
  • Halton Region
  • Georgetown
  • Peel Region
  • Milton
  • Guelph
  • Mississauga
  • Brampton


Send to a friend

Send the url of this page to a friend of yours

Copyright Munn Law Firm 2022 - Legal
Created by

Legal notice